Thursday, October 14, 2010

I Know God is In This!!

Yesterday I heard this song on the radio and it was so the cry of my heart right now, trying to figure out what is going on with Mason and his seizures and other symptoms that seem so inter-related with his meds/withdrawal stuff, and whether we need the G-tube or whether we need to wait it out and see if things get better on their own...a "REVELATION" is exactly what I feel like I stumbled upon through God's prompting tonight, (as you'll see below); please pray that the docs are really responsive to the information I want to discuss with them tomorrow as it sounds extremely relevant to Mason's case.

REVELATION 
My life has led me down the road that’s so uncertain
And now I am left alone and I am broken,
Trying to find my way...
I know that you are holding all the answers
I’m tired of losing hope and taking chances,
On roads that never seem,
To be the ones that bring me home
Give me a revelation,
Show me what to do
Cause I’ve been trying to find my way,
I haven’t got a clue
Tell me should I stay here,
Or do I need to move
Give me a revelation
I’ve got nothing without You
I’ve got nothing without You
I don’t know where I can turn
Tell me when will I learn
Won’t You show me where I need to go
Oh oh
Let me follow Your lead,
I know that it’s the only way that I can get back home

Give me a revelation,
Show me what to do
Cause I’ve been trying to find my way,
I haven’t got a clue...
                     --Third Day


Well I sure didn't have a clue and may not completely still on the G-tube question, but today, after looking up one of the genes Mason is missing, may have come across just that - a tiny clue to a piece of the Mason puzzle right now. I found out that one of his missing genes, ARRB2, is for a protein called Beta-Arrestin 2; the first time I looked it up in the medical lit I didn't find a lot of info about it or what it does, at least not that seemed completely relevant at the time, but for some I reason felt compelled to look it up again tonight. What I found this time was a host of articles about how mice who have had this gene deleted so they are deficient in Beta-Arrestin 2, REACT IN A COMPLETELY UNIQUE WAY TO OPOID DRUGS (IE, Fentanyl and phenobarbitol!) than other mice... their whole response of drug tolerance/withdrawal is fundamentally altered!!! They have an extremely LOW tolerance to these drugs yet still become physically dependent on them. You can read all about it in PubMed searching Beta-Arrestin 2 and opioids (if you are interested in medspeak) but here is the main info of interest to me, excerpted:

Beta-arrestins, a family of regulatory and scaffold proteins, are well-known negative regulators of G-protein-coupled receptors (GPCRs) including opioid receptors...We have previously reported that mice lacking the G protein-coupled receptor regulatory protein, beta-arrestin 2, display profoundly altered morphine responses. beta-Arrestin 2 knockout mice have enhanced and prolonged morphine analgesia with very little morphine tolerance. Here we show that in mice lacking beta-arrestin-2, desensitization of the mu-opioid receptor does not occur after chronic morphine treatment, and that these animals fail to develop antinociceptive tolerance However, the deletion of beta-arrestin-2 does not prevent the chronic morphine-induced up-regulation of adenylyl cyclase activity, a cellular marker of dependence, and the mutant mice still become physically dependent on the drug. 
(Jen's translation - the mice with the missing gene don't need much of the drug at all for it to give them a buzz/relief of pain--they are very sensitive to its effects). At the same time they still become addicted to the drug and if they don't get the drug they will have withdrawal.

Another article says, "inhibition of beta-arrestin 2 function might lead to .... potential new avenues for the study and treatment of pain, narcotic tolerance, and dependence."

Anyway the point is Mason doesn't have the gene either and this fact is probably playing a HUGE role in why he is having withdrawal symptoms that make absolutely no sense to the docs (since he was not on big enough doses of anything to cause these problems in other babies who do have Beta-Arrestin 2). The neurologist today acknowledged Mason was still having withdrawal symptoms from Fentanyl which he took 8 weeks ago, but could not explain why or if the seizures were from the withdrawal or not. Pray for me tomorrow as I talk with the neonatalogist about this, that they would realize the significance in his treatment (they are really pushing the phenobarbital but we do not want to do something that they are not going to be able to understand or manage its effect on him, if it is going to make him sicker or less himself or less able to feed due to its strong effects). Pray this info leads to really good things for his treatment and helps the docs get a better handle on what may be going on!! This is a teaching hospital, so pray they are eager to research and learn, to help Mason and potentially lots of other people!

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely-have been and won't stop !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Jen, post your updates on facebook:) I'm glad I peeked to check for updates here. You are amazing. I hope the conversation with the doctors goes well and they consider the research that YOU discovered online! Praying & thinking about you all, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to both of the songs you have posted. I was just on my knees praying for Mason and your family. What a precious little guy. I know we have not even met, but I would love to be where I could give you a hug. Just this week I told God...."Thank you for blessing me to be Sully's mommy. I know you think I can do it since you trusted me to his care...but God sometimes I don't feel like I can....please help me!" Sometimes we feel so lost in knowing what the next step should be...but God is SO faithful. I pray that He will give you answers on what to do.

    As far as a G-tube.....in our case it was such a blessing. When Sully was having trouble eating and that was a worry...after the G-tube we did not have to worry....he would get exactly what he needed. We would feed him orally what he could take and then give him the rest in his G-tube. Now he is all G-tube since he refuses anything orally. I understand our situations are different and it is a surgery....which comes with complications itself...but if that is the route you have to go...then I think it could be one thing you will not have to worry about when he won't take enough. Oh...I know how hard these decisions are...praying, praying, praying for you!

    Also....if I could go back...I would have done the fundo with the G-tube....we just didn't know at the time all of his issues....so I think we made the best decision that we could at the time. I am not sure how much he is refluxing or your situation....I just wonder if Sully would have all the oral issues he has if he did not throw up so much for all those months. They certainly don't come with manuals do they!

    Praying for you! Please email or call if you ever want to talk more!

    P.S.-How did you find us?!?!? Do we have a mutual friend?

    ReplyDelete

Mason's Mix


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones