Wednesday, October 05, 2011

We need some rash advice from nurse friends :)

n
So...we know several of you have medical experience ... any suggestions for what this type of rash could be? Mason has it A LOT, and it usually tends to be after a surgery and shows up worst when he is crying but sticks around for a long time in a much more minor appearance - weeks on end). Could this be related to morphine or another anesthesia med? (we've read it has an allergic like reaction sometimes and he's had it mildly off and on since his previous MRI intubation). His upper airway also narrows and he sounds awful (hoarse, wheezy) but we've been told this was just from intubation irritation. If it's more likely that this is an allergic type reaction we need to do something to find out what is causing it so we watch out for it next time but...do we need a dermatologist to determine it, talk to anesthesia, or just who? Our pediatrician says it's probably "flushing" but seems pretty extreme if it's just that. It does look like blotches of flat blushing - also behaves exactly like hives (comes and goes at random places) but has absolutely no whealing (no raised areas at all). Anyone who can point us to someone who may be able to help us out, would be great. We'll try to plan a dermatology consult but you know by the time someone can see us, he won't be having the issue at the time. Thanks!!



5 comments:

  1. Oh no....poor baby! It looks hivey to me, like some type of allergic reaction. Does he seem more uncomfortable? Like he's itchy? I hate rashes...they are so complicated and many times have no answer. But I would say if he seems to get them after being put under then it could really be the anesthesia, have you called the anesthesiologists? That would be were I would start. Hope they go away soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a doctor or nurse, but I get a rash like that when I take penicillion (sp?). The doctor told me it is an allergic reaction and to make sure I tell them whenever the want to give me an antibiotic. I don't have the wheezing or trouble breathing just the rash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Just catching up on all of this! Poor baby....looks miserable. I wish I had advice on the rash. I will pray that it goes away soon and that you can find out exactly why so that it does not continue to happen.

    Thank you for all the other updates on the surgery. We will pray for good direction and people to come into your life regarding the hearing loss.

    Going to write an email...this is going to get to long:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. and it's not eczema? Did you ask the doctor? Is her miserable? is there a topical cream to put on it? hope he feels better <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. When donating blood at our school's blood drive last year, I reacted to the prep pads they used before the poke. In the past they had used iodine- this time it was a clear pad instead. Donated blood and left. I thought everything was good to go.

    Later that day arm looked like hives everywhere they'd treated. Called the nurses and they said I have an allergy to Chloraprep. Went away on it's own after about a week. They said next time request iodine.

    Any chance they scrubbed him down with chloraprep before surgery and didn't get it all off?

    Prayerfully,

    Kevin (Sully's Dad)

    ReplyDelete

Mason's Mix


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones